Sunday, May 2, 2010

"If you wanna live here, learn it!"

If Tim James (see below) had been the governor of California in the mid-eighties to early nineties, I would never have had a ride home from school. So, from personal experience, I can think of at least one problem Alabama's fixin' to take on if it adopts measures that don't consider how and why people immigrate but instead punish those (legal as well as illegal) who are already here.



And then there's Iowa Congressional candidate Pat Bertroche, with this genius idea, which I'm pretty sure betrays a misunderstanding of how pet microchips work, but certainly betrays a lack of basic human decency:
I think we should catch 'em, we should document 'em, make sure we know where they are and where they are going. I actually support microchipping them. I can microchip my dog so I can find it. Why can't I microchip an illegal?
Oh, America. We just don't learn anything ever, do we?


all illustrations lifted from http://www.latinamericanstudies.org

4 comments:

TB said...

You are kinda ruining my ability to live oblivious and ostrich-like in France without becoming apoplectic about American politics on a daily basis. So thanks for that...

BJG. said...

Now you can let the French know that they're not the only ones capable of creepy nativism.

TB said...

They'll probably be upset that somebody else is poaching on their creepy nativism territory. Case in point: one of my students argued today that "immigrants to France couldn't possibly make wine the way REAL French people do."

BJG. said...

Maybe one day scientists will discover that the smugness of wine producers improves the quality of wine. And when that day comes, the already smug will only get worse, producing some of the greatest wine and most unbearable people the universe has ever known. Brave new world.