Thursday, April 1, 2010

Speaking of Walden...

A few months ago I planted kale and fava bean plants. I've been harvesting and eating the kale for a few weeks now, but today I noticed for the first time that the beans are beginning to sprout. I also somehow cut my finger while gardening. I didn't feel anything, but when I finished watering the plants I noticed there was an ugly gash on my index finger. Walking home I bled all over my just-picked kale.
* * * * *
Also, as I was shown by a couple of friends recently, it turns out that UCI's campus is made to be seen on moonlit nights in the spring. I've lived here for about three years now, and I've certainly been on campus after dark, but never really thought to tour campus at night. It's a whole different world when empty. It's a strange place, and I highly recommend checking it out in these conditions. I swear, in my mind, this still relates to Thoreau.

3 comments:

anna said...

i've been contemplating growing kale for a long time. i hear it's pretty easy (and so tasty). you've had success? are you container gardening or using those community plots?

anna said...

YUM.

BJG. said...

I have a plot in the community garden. It's really easy. They're hardy plants, so after the early stages of making sure they survive, it's not much work at all. In addition to weeding and turning the soil (which I don't do much) I water them once a week and prune them. I have 15 plants, so every time I prune them it provides quite a few meals.