Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The blog that wasn't there.

It appears that this blog has hit its inevitable identity crisis. That's not to say that I've run out of things to say, but that any attempt to organize a statement into a well-formulated journal entry has been thwarted by my "real" work on one hand and summer lethargy on the other. And therein lies the identity crisis: I didn't necessarily start this up to post well-formulated journal entries complete with citations and in-depth analysis, unless, by chance, such entries happened to be immediately possible and convenient. When this blog was more active, I was just as happy making quick observations as I was launching into involved political diatribes or musing about my hometown. The point was just to keep writing, to keep thinking, and I didn't quite accomplish either this summer.

But it's fall now, so...forward.

2 comments:

am said...

I actually thought you had left this blog for dead. I read in Harper's that 94% of blogs don't have a post within the last 4 months. I have the same problem of not really having a 'beat' or theme to my blog but just wanted a space to write about all the stupid thoughts I have in an informal or semi-formal way.

BJG. said...

That's precisely what I meant this to be, but the problem is that almost any worthwhile thoughts I have now should be used in my actual work, so this just becomes a forum for self-indulgence. I don't really know why I think that's a problem, though. It's a blog, after all. Anyway, it's not dead, just sort of limping along.