- From The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce, a few terms to keep in mind over the next few weeks:
- POLITICS, n.
- A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.
- POLITICIAN, n.
- An eel in the fundamental mud upon which the superstructure of organized society is reared. When he wriggles he mistakes the agitation of his tail for the trembling of the edifice. As compared with the statesman, he suffers the disadvantage of being alive.
- PRESIDENCY, n.
- The greased pig in the field game of American politics.
- PRESIDENT, n.
- The leading figure in a small group of men of whom -- and of whom only -- it is positively known that immense numbers of their countrymen did not want any of them for President.
If that's an honor surely 'tis a greater To have been a simple and undamned spectator. Behold in me a man of mark and note Whom no elector e'er denied a vote! -- An undiscredited, unhooted gent Who might, for all we know, be President By acclimation. Cheer, ye varlets, cheer -- I'm passing with a wide and open ear! Jonathan Fomry